Re: Sd.Kfz.10/5 - "Its Mine Now"
No problem Steve...here we go in a second.........
Thanks Ian...btw, you didn't mis anything yet.
OK, a little SBS on the house paint chipping.
For starters, The "rotted" area at the bottom, was created by just picking away at it with a #11 followed by the process shown after this picture.
I began the project with Balsa on this one...mainly because I had some, why not use it?! LOL!!
You start by applying a dark wash to the untreaded wood. A nice wash of Paynes Grey, black, burnt sienna and so forth are a great base color. I used K4 Charcoal & Brown Wash. This is just an enamel based wash solution Side note if you do not know already: K4 is a product that is just becoming availible to the market and is availible upon requests made direct through e-mail until the web page goes live.
You can contact the owner, Richard, direct at: [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] if you are interested. K4 is a product of Chili and he will ship any where. In addition, if anyon is interested in a small review of there products, I do have one and can post it here if you like!
Back on track here....Applying washes.
Applying the wash give the grey/brown look of the naturally weathered wood over time.
After the wash goes on, you need to move right to the application of the paint layer(s). These layer(s) should be Acrylic. As you will see from the next pictures I used a number of acrylic based paints as an example in my testing to see if this worked.
Here I applied some mineral spirits to dampen the area 1st. This dries slower than the acrylic paint. You will need this to happen.
The previous pictures show the application of just the whites from the various companies. They all preformed basically the same. The pictures of the door, as follows, will have multiple layers.
Next, just after the paint dried…and in some case almost dried; I took some ordinary masking tape and pressed each piece paint side down. I gave the tape a good rub to insure good coverage.
Then I quickly removed the tape. This leave a nice cracked/chipped surface with the grayish brown under tone colors through.
After peeling the tape off on the blue paint on the door, I applied another coat of Deck Tan and then repeated the tape step.
The initial results.
I added a quick brown was and wiped it off just after.
The end result…for the moment.
I hope this helps a bit and someone can use it some day. I should have another update soon on the door.
Thanks for checking this out!!!